Utah Brewery Map

Monday, February 26, 2007

Another Inversion!

Those of us who live along the Wasatch Front, know full well the pattern of atmospheric inversions. They develop, they leave. Then soon develop again. The same thing is apparently true with beer as well. After sampling Deschutes Inversion last week another Inversion came along. This time from our friends Desert Edge. This one isn't an IPA. It's more appropriately a Rauchbier (smoke beer). Get it? Smoke beer, inversion? Anyway, I got a chance to try it at the Bayou last weekend, it was quite good. I haven't had great experience with smoke beers. They're usually overly-smokey and one dimensional. Or, they just tend to taste like burnt beer. There are only a few I like, and even fewer of those could be considered good session beers. Desret Edgse's Inversion isn't the greatest Rauchbier I've tried, but it is moderately smokey with a nice maltiness beneath. There's no hop profile, it;s all smoke. Also, it's a little thin. But that helps with it's drink ability. It's a good seasonal and it's a style that doesn't come around all that often. Check it out at Desert Edge and The Bayou.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alaskan Smoked Porter is awesome. A nice chocolate smoke mix. Not overdone. I have had a commercial smoked Ocktoberfest from Germany that was really nice. I have brewed very good smoked beer. The trick is to balance lightly with the smoke. Nothing is worse than an overdone homebrewed ashtray. mike

Mikey said...

I've got a couple bombers of Alaskan Smoke Porter in my basement just waiting to be cracked. I think it's one of the best "smoke" beers in the world. I've never tried to make a smoked homebrew. If you've got a good recipe, please post it.

Anonymous said...

Definitely worth a try; don't know that I'd recommend it with food, though. Not that it was "bad" paired with the chicken enchilada, but I lost a lot of the smoke flavor once I started eating.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand: it might be great with a turkey sandwich or whatever. I don't know. I'll shut up now ;)