Utah Brewery Map

Friday, October 23, 2009

Bear Republic - A Monster Beating and An Apology

After month & months of waiting Bear Republic has finally invaded Utah! Mark Alston called me yesterday to say that he was moments from picking up his long awaited beer order.

The Bayou received a good portion of Bear Republic's regular line-up, including Big Bear Stout - Hop Rod Rye - Pete Brown's Tribute Ale - Red Rocket Ale - XP Pale Ale & of course Racer 5 IPA (2009 GABF Gold Medal Winner).

Mark got 12 cases of each (15 of the Racer 5). But don't wait too long. they'll be gone before you know it.

In other news, I just doesn't pay to be a dick. Well it does, for many... quite often in fact... but not this time.

Anyway, Rock Art Brewery the makers of “The Vermonster” beer, and Hansen Beverage Company, makers of Monster energy drinks, reached an agreement that will allow Rock Art to continue to use the name “Vermonster” for its beer, so long as it stays out of the energy drink market.

The media shit-storm quickly began to tarnish Hansen’s reputation as a beverage manufacturer as it began to take a real beating in the marketplace as beverage retailers, distributors and tens of thousands of everyday consumers rallied against Hansen’s efforts against quash tiny Rock Art. Personally, I'm still done with Monster.

Finally , a week ago I implied that that both of the DABC's new alcohol commissioners were teetotalers. In fact only one of the two is a non-drinker. Jeff Wright considers himself a social drinker, but doesn't think that should be a factor. My apologies to Mr. Wright.

I think we've covered everything, have a great weekend.

Cheers!

12 comments:

Cache Valley Brewing Co said...

I am a big fan of Bear Republic beers. I tried Racer 5 in bottles years ago, but it just didn't grab me. Then I had an opportunity to have Racer 5 fresh and on tap. Wow - what a difference! I highly encourage it.

It is always a treat to see good things coming to Utah.

Douglas said...

Awesome. The Hop Rod Rye is really nice. Looks like I know what I'll be doing tonight: I'll see you at the office Mikey! In a funny story, a few years ago I shared a bottle of the Hop Rod Rye with a non-beer geek friend of mine, and he literally thought it was disgusting. He couldn't take the 'weird bitter flavor', which I had to explain were hops! He insisted the Bud and Miller had hops and were not so 'weird'. I guess he just wasn't ready.

Mikey said...

I'll see you there. Anyone else???

Anonymous said...

I don't go to the Bayou too often and when I do I usually get something on tap, just because the bottles cost so much more than do they do from the liquor store, and I can't easily have drafts at home, but I really, really can't wait until Racer 5 is in the stores. I've been wondering why Bear Republic has been taking so long to get here since you first mentioned it a while back. After our local Taliban legalizes heavy beer on tap, I'll be at the Bayou a few times per week.

Mikey said...

The Bear Republic beers are a special order that the Bayou made with the Brewery. There is no guarentee that the state stores wil ever carry them.

Though, the state stores do tend to suddenly end up with Bayou and Beerhive special orders. I guess we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I could have sworn you mentioned in a post a while back that BR was simply coming to Utah. Oh well, I sure as hell hope they end up in the stores.

kent said...

Drinking the Racer 5 right now. It's delicious. Thanks for the info Mikey. Hell you might be here.

Mikey said...

Damn Kent, I decidedto make a pit stop at squatters to try the new Crimson Ale & Nitro Pumpkin. I hope your still there when I arive.

Douglas said...

Yeah, the Bear Republic stuff was really nice.

Andrew said...

I stopped in to the Bayou yesterday for lunch and had a Racer 5. I would highly suggest this beer, but then you guys would go and drink it all.
:)
If you haven't had it before and love American IPA's it's a must try. Same with the Hop Rod Rye. I used to live in San Diego and miss having it on tap. Cheers to Mark at the Bayou for getting this delicious beer.

Anonymous said...

Send 'em to CT too.....Go Vermonster!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anyone know how to do things like this?