Utah Brewery Map

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Epic Brewing Finally Has a Home

It's not an easy thing getting a business off the ground. I have huge respect for those with the stones to deal with the morass of shit that ricochets their way on a daily basis. You have to deal with zoning, licensing, insurance, bonds, yada-yada-yada...

I think my head would pop if I ever had to deal with all the ordinances & bureaucracy that cities and townships spew at you.

Enough about my own timid nature, today is about Epic Brewing. Not only do these guys have the stomach to deal with the ordinance machine; they also have the cajones to start a brewery that's completely different from anything that Utah has seen in nearly a century.

After months of trying, the boys have finally found a piece of real estate that they can call their own. The new brewery will be located at 825 s. State Street in Salt Lake City. At the old Pho Anh Dao Vietnamese restaurant.

The remodel and reconstruction is slated to begin asap; as soon as architects and engineers finish their work. Glad to see things are finally starting to get off the ground for Epic.

No word yet on Epic's plan for Utah's first Vietnamese style beer...

Can ly!

13 comments:

Speedy GonzAndy said...

I hope they keep the drive-through!

Mikey said...

Brilliant observation Andy! I agree.

Douglas said...

Awesome idea. I have actually bought beer from a drive through beer store. Anyway, good luck to Epic. I hope they start brewing soon, I'm ready to see what they are making. Will they have some sort of tap room? If not, the remodel should be easy I'd think.

Anonymous said...

I doubt they will have a tap room since their stuff is supposed to all be well over 4%. Hopefully Oklahoma changes their 3.2 beer law so we are forced to do the same, or some brave and honorable legislator here will try to do something about 3.2 during the next session.

Anonymous said...

Actually that got me thinking, I wonder if the new rules for distributing from a brewery directly would allow heavy beer on tap for tasting purposes or growlers to go? AFAIK the UBC still doesn't have any of the heavy stuff on tap, but I don't know if that's because they can't or because they haven't installed additionals. Maybe one of the co-op guys that posts here can answer this. If the stuff is being sold without ever entering the state's clutches, is it ok for it to be sold in draft/growler form instead of bottles only? Of course, thinking about that also gets me thinking about how Utah also bans kegs for individuals...

*tries to keep rage level from rising*

Douglas said...

^ good questions. I thought that beer over 4% had to be bottled no matter what. But when I mentioned a tap room, I guess I was really thinking of a place where we could sample beer- out of a bottle I guess! Kinda defeats the idea of a sample.

Anonymous said...

High gravity beer are easy to make!! I want to see them make a nice clean Hellas Bier..

Mikey said...

State law prohibits any beer over 4.0% abv from being sold on tap. Period.

The laws are vague on bottle sampling. I'm sure there's someone reading this that would have more info than I.

mark said...

I thought that you couldn't have a real "distribution" brewery that far east. Just getting trucks in and out loaded for beer deliveries to the state will be challenging not to mention all the big deliveries. I'm surprised that they were able to get that location zoned for a distribution brewery.

Don't get me wrong. I think that it would be awesome to have a full strength brewery on State St. We will slowly turn State Street into "Beer" Street!

Mikey said...

Hey Mark, as I understand it 200 east is as far east as the zoning allows. So they're right on the edge.

Anonymous said...

High gravity easy to make,huh? sounds like you don't make alot of them...Uh, and I think you meant Helles....

Andy said...

That last comment was great. But I do think both high gravity and low gravity brews present unique challenges to the brewing process. Also, maybe hellas is a Greek beer style we are not familiar with?

Ricky H. said...

I can't wait for Epic to start up. My brewing friends and I have been talking about it for a few months now. Those guys will be living all us homebrewer's dream.