Monday, January 04, 2010

Life & Limb in Utah

A lot of people have been emailing me about the availability of the Sierra Nevada - Dogfish collaboration beer Life & Limb. Here's what I know.

Yes it is available in Utah, but I believe the only place that has it, is the Beerhive in SLC.

This is a living ale (LIFE) it's naturally carbonated to enhance complexity, refinement, and to encourage aging. LIMB - for the birch and maple trees, who’s syrup gives this unique ale its flavor.

It has a deep sugary malt profile, hops are significant enough to notice, but do not take a leading role in the profile, aside from some decent bitterness on the finish. Reminds me of a Belgian noel brew. Syrup and slight spice linger on the aftertaste. I'm not really excited about this one.

Drinkability is ok. Still a bit hot, some time in the cellar might help.

Overall this is an ok beer, which is unfortunate because I like both of these craft beer giants. I just think they could have done better with the resources that both breweries have.

It's certainly worth a try. but I'd recommend one of the current local options instead.



Michael said...

Nice, honest appraisal. Don't figure we'll see it down here if it hasn't shown up by now (wasn't on the shelves at Total Wine this afternoon)...but I found more Nogne O Winter Ale!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to help a friend who is turning 50, he wants to drink a beer from each state, and while going to each state would be better, he has 3 young children, I am running into problems with any Utah beer, I live in Chicago, liquid solutions, beer geek, etc don't have any Utah beer, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, all in all , just looking for 1 or 2 bottles

Mikey said...

Hey Jeff, Send me your contact info. When you need them etc. And I'll try to get some to you.