Utah Brewery Map

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hey, Uinta... Pass Me a Duhbe...

Black IPA's seem to be all the rage right now. Weather you call them Black IPAs or Cascadian Dark ales one thing is for certain they're one of the most popular and unique American beers to hit the market in quite some time.

If you've never tried a good Black IPA, think of it as a very hoppy porter. That description is a little inadequate because it's not easy to create a hop bill that complements the roasted grains in such a robust beer. If you've had a good B-IPA you know immediately when a brewers nailed it and when they haven't.

Uinta Brewing has entered the the Black IPA game and in typical fashion they're adding a unique twist. Dubhe, pronounced "Doo-bee" is the official state centennial star (yes Utah has an official state everything). Dubhe is one of the seven bright stars that make up "The Big Dipper" (part of Ursa Major, or the Great Bear constellation).

Anyway, what makes Dubhe different from other B-IPA/Cascadians is the addition of hemp seed. Get it... Doobie?

Now before Sen. Valentine starts getting his little "panties in a bunch" over this shocking revelation, it's well known that Hemp seeds do not get you high, or have psychoactive properties. The hemp seeds here are used to add a "nutty" profile to Dubhe.

Dubhe is still in the tanks and is expected to be available sometime in March, in 12oz bottles. Look for it at your local bar, liquor store and at Uinta's Bottle Shop as it has an abv of 9.2%. Thanks, Uinta! for giving us some extra good beer news this week!

I have more great Black IPA news for you tomorrow, stay tuned. And while I have your attention, If you find any value in this thing I do here, please consider voting for the Utah Beer Blog in City weekly's Best of 2011. It would really stroke my overly stimulated ego...

Cheers!

14 comments:

Tim said...

I'm excited about this one! Love me some BIPA!!!

Mikey said...

By the way, at a $1.65 a bottle it's gunna make your wallet happy, not just your tongue.

Ricky H. said...

I'm very excited. I love the Black IPA style. It's nice to hear someone here in Utah is jumping on that bandwagon.

---Ricky H.

kent said...

Hi my name's Kent and I have a problem to admit...I've never had a black IPA. My shame is great and I will remedy this at the earliest possible convenience.

Thanks a bunch Uinta folks!

Mikey said...

I've been informed that If all goes as planned Duhbe will be available for purchase at Uinta Tuesday afternoon (3/1/11). As always call before making the trip.

Douglas said...

12 ounce bottle?

Tim said...

Six packs son!

Anonymous said...

Duude! I mean Ricky. Uinta isn't the first, nor the last t make a dark hoppy ale in utah. I wonder if the oils in the weed seeds hurt head retention?..... no, not at all..wink wink

Ricky H. said...

I've been corrected, they aren't the first. Either way, I'm still pretty excited to try their interpretation of this style.

Kent, I remember (I was a bit intoxicated though) pouring you a "Hop in the Dark" at the holiday beer tasting.

---Ricky H.

Anonymous said...

I am very excited about a new black ipa since it is one of my favorite styles unfortunately the star it's named after is pronounced duh be as in "duh" not "doo". koodos to naming a beer after the state star.

kent said...

Holy shiz Ricky I do vaguely remember that. That's Deschutes right?

Woohoo my shame is less great!

Ricky H. said...

Kent,

That's right, it is by Deschutes. It's fine, by that time we all had about 12 too many. My friend still talks about your non-carbonated holiday beer, by the way.

---Ricky H.

Clif said...

What's the word? Will we see these this afternoon? And where?

Mikey said...

It looks like it will be out tomorrow afternoon. 3/2/11