Utah Brewery Map

Monday, January 26, 2015

Remembering Kyle Trammel

Sad news this morning. Our friend Kyle Trammel who had gone missing this time last week, was found dead Thursday night in a remote area near Great Basin National Park in eastern Nevada. According to South Salt Lake police a passer by saw his black 2007 Subaru Legacy late at night and called it in to the White Pine County, Nev., Sheriff's Office. Kyle was located the next morning, police don't believe foul play was a factor. 

Kyle is a local guy who got into craft beer early in his life, working at the Beer Nut for many years before moving on to professional brewing jobs at RedRock and Bohemian Breweries. After years of learning the brewing trade here in Utah, Kyle made a move to Victoria, Australia where he took on the job as head brewer at Southern Bay Brewing located on the southern most tip of the continent. After nearly a year of making beer in Victoria, a new opportunity brought Kyle back to the states, to oversee and advise in the creation of Salt lake City's Beer Bar. His knowledge brought high standards and opened up a new pipeline for northwestern beer coming into the state. After Kyle's contract with the Beer Bar ended he started up his Beer Consulting business which aimed at helping bars, restaurants and start-up breweries become more beer proficient in regards to how they presented and sold beer. His next gig came soon after - helping to lay the groundwork for Ogden's first craft beer bar, the Barrelhouse. He was still under contract there until his disappearance.

This is a tiny representation of the guy I knew, there are many pages to be written in his book, I'm glad I have the honor to contribute a few paragraphs. This is all quite senseless. This is a  tragedy that didn't need to happen. Looking at the outpouring of concern from various broadcast and social media outlets, Kyle had far too many close friends and family members to confide in. If suicide is on your mind, perceived embarrassment or weakness should not be preventing you from getting help. Had one person known of Kyle's state of mind days before, this tragedy may have never occurred. 

Check back here or the various social media platforms for remembrance gatherings and interment.

http://utahsuicideprevention.org/
http://hope4utah.com/
http://www.sprc.org/states/utah    

Photo Credit: (right) SLUG Magazine and Chad Kirkland - (Probably my favorite photo of Kyle)

13 comments:

D-Dub said...

Kyle left a mark on everything he touched. I wish there was a way to go back and convince him of how many people cared about him.

kent said...

Very eloquently written Mikey. It's just so sad.

Unknown said...

I only met Kyle a few times through my husband when we would visit the Barrelhouse together,he laughed when I I ordered water. I explained that I didn't like beer he promised that if I kept coming in that he would convert me, I'm sorry he never got the chance, but soon I will go in to the Barrelhouse with my husband and a bet in remembrance of Kyle.
Robyn Sargent
Ogden,Utah

Unknown said...

Very nice tribute.

holly said...

As a suicide survivor (which is the term often used for people who have had a loved one commit suicide), I would like to add that more than the ears of loved ones, professional help is what is often needed - especially when someone is at the point where they are not just thinking about suicide, but are planning it. Loved ones often don't know what to say or do and could use guidance as well. And, we are often much better at telling our loved ones what they want to hear than strangers, so a professional stranger can be so much more efficient at getting to the truth.

An awful tragedy. Big thoughts of love and comfort to all who miss him.

Manberries said...

Drink em to Kyle in the coming days and months. He was a hell of a guy. Witty, funny, intelligent and handsome he could be a real prick too, but his heart was big and beautiful behind it all. He loved beer and everything concerning beer more than anyone I have ever known. A super music nerd, we shared that connection. The last thing he asked me for was a record from my collection which I was happy to give to him after all he had given me. The people who need it most usually don't ask for love, concern or counsel in times of pain and need. If you see another human struggling that is the time to offer a hand or kind words. Hoppy Trails Trammel.

Jamie said...

I keep trying to leave a post and end up deleting it. My heart hurts. Kyle was very persistent and driven. I loved him like a little brother. He was a pain in the ass but in the way that made one miss him when he wasn't around. I am so proud of all that he had accomplished. I will miss him terribly.

Unknown said...

The first time I met Kyle I honestly didn't like him. He couldn't have been more than 20 and possessed a vast knowledge exceeding more than I ever will know about home brewing. Over the next few month he became one of my favorite Beernut employees. I looked forward to chatting him up every time I put together a kit. I still have his all-grain cheat sheet to which I still use as my backbone for brewing today. Great guy, who I will remember for the rest of my life.

Unknown said...

Kyle was my housemate in Victoria, Australia. It was a privilege to have known him. His knowledge, drive and passion for someone his age was amazing. Our sense of humour was scarily alike and what can I say, a winemaker and brewer sharing a house together... I'll leave it at that. I loved him dearly and will miss him terribly. One day I hope to get to SLC to meet his friends... please stay in touch at kellymareepearson@hotmail.com

Mikey said...

Thanks for the memories, Kelly. Looking forward to meeting you someday. Cheers.

Casey said...

well said sir - i found this out yesterday from Bobby Jackson and this was devastating news as when I knew Kyle he brought me nothing but joy and a smile. I also recommend that we listen and include friends that struggle and not shut them out because shit gets real fast. Listen, do not judge - include everyone - we all matter

Unknown said...

He was my headbrewer in Geelong in Australia awesome dude and we rocked Melbourne on a few crazy nights.You will be well missed man.Well inspired by this great brewer.

Unknown said...

He was my headbrewer in Geelong in Australia awesome dude and we rocked Melbourne on a few crazy nights.You will be well missed man.Well inspired by this great brewer.